- Each person should spend a set amount for food and beverages during the Challenge week, September 8th, 2013 – September 14th, 2013. That amount is $29.56* for all food and beverage.
- All food purchased and eaten during the Challenge week, including fast food and dining out, must be included in the total spending.
- During the Challenge, only eat food that you purchase for the project. Do not eat food that you already own (this does not include spices and condiments).
- Avoid accepting free food from friends, family, or at work, including at receptions, briefings, or other events where food is served.
- Keep track of receipts on food spending and take note of your experiences throughout the week.
- Invite others to join you, including co-workers, reporters, chefs, or other elected officials.
*This value was obtained by dividing the average monthly SNAP benefit received by Washington residents, $126.69, by 30, and then multiplying that by the number of days in the SNAP Challenge, 7.